At first I was like “Captain Sulu’s got a restaurant!” but then I was like “Oh.”
I know it’s old, but heh.
Baseball is America is Star Trek.
Happy Saturday, Tumblr.
Janeway. Always on point.
One of the most poignant scenes in Star Trek history involved Seven of Nine revealing the outcome of the 2032 World Series during a funeral service for an astronaut, found dead more than 300 years after he disappeared.
Voyager is better than I remember.
Captain America’s been keeping a to-do list of things to see, eat and read up on ever since he was, um, defrosted. And here is that list, in this screencap from a teaser for Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
I’m hoping he crossed off Star Wars and left on Star Trek on account of how much Star Trek is much better than Star Wars.
As inside baseball as Trek humor gets.
(Star Trek: Voyager S2 E7, “Partutrition”)
(Star Trek: Voyager,S2 E4, “Elogium”)
Yes, that’s Captain Jane Kirk and her parallel Star Trek universe crew.
Patrick Stewart’s other great space adventure — starring as the Jade Rabbit Moon rover on The Daily Show.
(Waaaaaay late) Weekend News Read 24 November 2013.
- IRAN: Here’s a look at the deal between Iran and Western powers to freeze Iran’s nuclear program, seen by some as a good start and others as a big mistake. (NY Times)
- AFGHANISTAN: President Hamid Karzai defies the wishes of the country’s loya jirga, or grand assembly of delegates, in refusing to sign a treaty with the U.S. that would keep American soldiers on Afghan soil. (Guardian)
- THE PHILIPPINES: The toll from Haiyan stands at more than 5,200 dead, 4.4 million residents displaced and at least $275 million in damage to crops and infrastructure; the country has received $52 million in US aid and another $1 billion from the World Bank as efforts shift towards rebuilding. (Manila Bulletin)
- RALLY POINT: Residents in hard-hit Tacloban City gather to watch Manny Pacquiao’s 12-round victory over Brandon Rios on Saturday. (Manila Bulletin)
- An already deadly winter storm threatens to hit during the busiest travel day of the year. (Time)
- EGYPT: Interim president signs edict banning protests comprising ten or more people. Yeah, that’ll last long. (AP)
- COMET ME, BRO: Comet ISON will either end — or survive — being whipped around the Sun on Thanksgiving after a million-year journey. Tell us if you see anything. (WashPo)
- KICKER: Speaking of final frontiers, meet Captain James Kirk of the U.S.S…. Zumwalt. Sorry, no star trekking here, as the Zumwalt is a U.S. Navy ship, and the real life Captain Kirk’s middle name isn’t “Tiberius.” But we hear the Zumwalt’s armed with lens flares. (AP via Guardian)
(This is not Captain James A. Kirk of the USS Zumwalt. Sigh.)