Stephen Colbert rubbing butter in Norway’s face from last night’s The Colbert Report.
This whole segment deserves a tip of our hats.
People stood at a memorial site overlooking Norway’s Utoya Island Monday. (Photo: Stoyan Nenov / Reuters via the Wall St. Journal)
People hold up red roses during a memorial service for the victims of the bomb and shooting massacre, organized by the Norwegian Labour party and its youth organization, AUF, in Oslo, on Friday July 29. Speaking at the service — among the first for many of the 77 victims of last week’s terror attacks — Norway’s Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said, “Today it is one week since Norway was hit by evil,”. “We have to live with July 22, but together we will make it.” (Photo: Emilio Morenatti / AP via MSNBC.com)
The Faces of Utoya Island.
(Reuters via MSNBC.com)
President Barack Obama wrote a message of condolence for the victims of the Norway terror attacks at the Norwegian Embassy in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday. (Photo: Larry Downing / Reuters via the Wall St. Journal)
Crown Prince Haakon and foreign minister Jonas Gahr Støre were among the people gathered in a Mosque in Oslo to apologize for the treatment of Muslims after the the bomb went off in on Friday and to encourage further unity and respect.
This is the beauty of Norway, this is what the rest of the world needs to see. Not the face of a murderer, but that of a country grieving yet united in the common wish to become stronger and more tolerant.
Islamophobes need to see this and shut up
“You know the Wall Street Journal is accurate, because as a (Rupert) Murdoch paper, they’ve got ways to get inside information.”
– STEPHEN COLBERT, on the Wall St. Journal indicating that the suspect in the Norwegian terror attacks was likely al-Qaeda — before officials even identified the suspect, who turned out to be Norwegian — on The Colbert Report.
UNITY Thousands of people massed outside Oslo’s City Hall on Monday for a vigil in memory of the 76 victims of last week’s twin attacks. Suspect Anders Behring Breivik appeared in court for the first time today; he admitted to the killings, though he pleaded not guilty. (Photo: Aleksander Andersen / AFP-Getty via the New York Times)
The Norwegian man charged with attacks in and near Oslo, killing over 90 people, has admitted “to the facts” of the case, the police and his lawyer said on Sunday, and claims to have acted alone in a strike eerily foretold in a detailed manifesto calling for a Christian war to defend Europe against the threat of Muslim domination.
But, acting police chief Sveinung Sponheim told a news conference, “he is not admitting criminal guilt” and his claim to have acted alone contrasted with “some of the witness statements,” Reuters reported.
The attacks on Friday — a huge bombing in central Oslo closely followed by a bloody rampage against young people on nearby Utoya island — was the deadliest attack in this Nordic nation since World War II, and stunned many in a population of some five million used to seeing their land as a haven of peace.
The police said on Sunday that the toll had risen from 92 to 93 people with the death of one of 97 earlier reported injured in the attacks. Most of the bodies were found on Utoya island, where young people from the dominant Labor Party had gathered for an annual camp.
Police identified the suspect as Anders Behring Breivik, 32, a right-wing fundamentalist Christian, while acquaintances described him as a gun-loving Norwegian obsessed with what he saw as the threats of multiculturalism and Muslim immigration.”
– The New York Times, “Police Say Oslo Suspect Admits ‘Facts’ In Massacre”