Scott Prouty revealed himself on MSNBC’s “The Ed Show” Wednesday night as the bartender who shot a damaging video of Mitt Romney dismissing President Obama’s supporters during a closed-press fundraiser last year.
“I was behind this whole thing,” Prouty said.
The bartender said he brought a camera to the Boca Raton, Fla. fundraiser in case Romney came back to take pictures with the staff, as former president Bill Clinton had done at another event Prouty worked. ”I didn’t go there with a grudge against Romney,” he said. “I really had no idea he would say what he said.”
Prouty grew up in a blue-collar neighborhood in Boston, he said. He said he felt that people who couldn’t afford to attend a high-priced fundraiser should get a chance “to find out what the candidate actually thinks.”
He said he struggled for two weeks with whether or not to release the video and risk his own career. He did not have health insurance. After wrestling with the decision, he decided it would be cowardly not to release the video: “I went down the path and never looked back.””
– The Washington Post, "Scott Prouty Reveals Himself As Man Who Shot ‘47 Percent’ Video"