The Apple Store has a boo-boo.
Afternoon News Read 5 November 2013.
- ELECTION DAY: Light voter turnout seen in New York City, unhappy turnout in Virginia and a possible historic landslide in New Jersey. (NY Times / WashPo / Star-Ledger)
- Also on the ballot: six other races of note and a possible 25% tax on marijuana in Colorado. (NPR / NBC News)
- PARAMUS: The family of a gunman that opened fire inside a northern New Jersey mall before killing himself doesn’t know why he did it. (Star Ledger)
- "FOLKS, I HAVE NOTHING LEFT TO HIDE" Toronto mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack, won’t resign. (CTV)
- BLAST FOOD: A scientific analysis of more than 5,300 “kids meals” at fast food and other restaurants finds only 33 of them are considered “healthy.” The study comes with a free toy and fries. (LA Times)
- OBAMACARE REDUX: The President tweaks his “If you like your health insurance, you can keep it message” to the more accurate "You can keep it if it hasn’t changed since the Affordable Care Act passed." Reminder: folks who were “dropped” from their existing plans had really shitty health plans. (USA Today)
- A hoard of looted art — including a Matisse and Chagall — stolen by the Nazis was found inside an apartment in Munich. (Time)
- APPLE, MADE IN THE U.S.A.: The company will create 2,000 new jobs at a parts-manufacturing plant in Arizona. (Guardian)
- The Atlantic looks at why airline fees are so high. The whole of the article is probably a Gordon Gekko quote. (Atlantic)
- PINK SLIME: The processed meat company responsible for pink slime will start labeling when they put pink slime — sorry, "finely textured beef is a processed meat product made from chunks of beef, including trimmings, and exposed to citric acid to kill E. coli and other dangerous contaminants" — in their products. (Reuters)
- LAST RACE: An 88-year-old woman who ran the New York City Marathon and who appeared on the Today Show earlier that day passed away after completing the race. (NY Daily News)
- BULLY FOR HIM: Richie Incognito, implicated in the bullying and racial harassment of a teammate, is suspended by the Miami Dolphins. (CNN)
- And finally… WE ARE NOT ALONE? Scientists say there are 8.8 billion Earth-like planets in the Milky Way. But only the real Earth has deep-fried Oreos. (NY Daily News)
(Illustration of Kepler 69-C, an Earth-like planet 2,700 light-years away in the constellation Cygnus, by the AP via the Daily News)
Apple CEO Tim Cook is seen on stage during the unveiling of the iPad Air Jordan Almonds or something or other during an event in San Francisco on Tuesday. (Photo: Jim Wilson / The New York Times)
Today’s installment of our special series "Things We Don’t Think Would’ve Happened If Steve Jobs Was Still Alive."
Morning News Read 4 October 2013.
- CAPITOL MAYHEM: Miriam Carey, a 34-year-old dental hygienist from Stamford Conneticut, was shot dead after she used her car to try and ram through security barricades at the White House then led Capitol police on a high-speed chase. A one-year-old child was recovered safely from her car and is now in protective custody. Family members tell the media Carey had suffered from postpartum depression. (WashPost / Hartford Courant / NY Daily News)
- The United States Capitol Police, which sprang into action during yesterday’s attacks and who are considered “essential” federal employees, will not be paid until the Republican-led government shutdown is over. Hey, good job, GOP. (ABC News)
- MORE SHUTDOWN: Some Republicans think the shutdown they engineered will have bad effects on the party. They come from the “No Shit, Sherlock” faction. Also, moderate Republicans hatefuck Ted Cruz. (NY Times / HuffPo)
- And oh yes, looks like the Constitution, the GOP’s favorite toilet paper, might give the President a way to raise the debt ceiling all by his lonesome. (NY Times)
- WENDY! Rising Democratic star Wendy Davis makes it official: she’s running for Texas governor. (Dallas Morning News)
- TWITS: Company sets IPO parameters, thinks its worth between $9.7 and $13 billion. Yeah, so was Tumblr, amirite??? (WSJ)
- KAREN: Tropical storm gathers strength, barrels toward Gulf Coast. (Al Jazeera)
- IS THAT YOU, SIRI? The identity of the voice actress behind the iPhone feature is revealed. (CNN)
- TODAY IN SILLY HEADLINES: "Miley Cyrus Hits Back at Sinead O’Connor In Social Media Spat." Really. (Mashable)
- And finally… THE JERK STORE CALLED… AND THEY DON’T WANT YOU: More employers are specifically looking for new hires who aren’t jerks. Guess nice guys and gals don’t finish last, after all. (MSNBC)
(Photo of nice gal Wendy Davis by Michael Ainsworth / Dallas Morning News)
I don’t mind so much that Apple stuck a couple of Klingon-spouting Trekkies in their commercial for the iPhone 5.