BVT News Roundup 1 January 2014.
- BREAKING: Palestinian ambassador to the Czech Republic is killed apparently after accidentally triggering a booby trapped safe inside his residence in Prague. (NY Times)
- WELCOME TO 2014: Kicking in this January 1st are the Affordable Care Act (except for one part involving nuns — thanks, Sonia Sotomayor!), a new mayoral administration in New York City, and, in Colorado, legal, recreational marijuana. The first customer: an Iraq war veteran. (NYT / NY Daily News / USA Today)
- Longtime AP photog Dave Martin collapses on field during college bowl post-game on New Year’s Eve, dies of heart attack. RIP. (Star Tribune)
- Building explosion near downtown Minneapolis injures 13, six critically. (AP)
- WORLD NEWS: Anti-government protests continue in Hong Kong, Bahrain and Cambodia, while attempts at forging peace are underway between Sudan and South Sudan. (Reuters)
- HACKCHAT: Phone numbers for 4.6 million SnapChat users are leaked by hackers. (Time)
- Apple denies letting the NSA hack their operating systems. (Guardian)
- Cost of U.S. first-class postage stamps are rising from 46 to 49 cents later this month. (Atlantic)
- And finally… SHARK WEAK: One expert says the photobombing “shark” in the now-famous family beach photo below more likely was a dolphin. Only Roy Scheider would have known. (HuffPo)
We’re gonna need a bigger floatie.